(last updated Tue 14 Aug 2018)
There seems to be enough to dedicate a space to this *silent squee*?!
Not sure how that happened, but am mega-enjoying it, while I send my bestie the goofiest selfies ever, and get good cheer cuddles from the best rescue cat in the world that chose to adopt me.
I’ve been loving that folks do contact me via FB, IM or through previous engagements to do cool things, and if you’re not one of those folks, feel free to click and be taken to my online contact form here. You can also get in touch on tha FBz, if that’s your jam too.
On Twitter I’m @snarkattack (though I also use @eatdrinkstagger mainly for food-related media links & chatter), and on Instagram, I’m @eatdrinkstagger. Unless we’ve met in person, I don’t usually allow people to follow me on my private IG account (don’t worry, it’s mainly catspam and bookpr0n, hehehe).
The serious note is that I minimally edit listings here — it helps me to ‘map out’ the time in my head, with the view that it’ll help jog my memory in case I have to have ECT again…keeping detailed, ordered notes off-line and through online documentation and with task manager apps has helped me a lot, though there are still some years that have…gone. This might also explain any info holes here.
general 2018 works-in-progress / awesome commitments
- continuing to get hugs and be hugged by the best rescue cat in the world ever (yes, I am completely and utterly biased!)
- reviews editor for the Melbourne Spoken Word website
- committee & comms group member for Women’s Melbourne Network (am largely responsible for our Twitter presence)
- Vic beer reviewing for Froth (for overseas pals, that’s the state I live in, in Australia)
- a series of memoir-style essays on retracing my life after voluntary electroconvulsive therapy for The Lifted Brow (online) – just finished the first part which focusses on 2017 and started 2016; it’ll be a group of five (yep 5!) essays called ‘The Five Year Plan’
- a collection of fifteen poems inspired by Elizabeth Allen’s ‘Inpatient (impatient)’ sequence from her collection Present and interested places to send it to!
- a chapbook manuscript with the working title ‘have questions / will answer’, submitted for Subbed In’s chapbook prize
- Liminal mag interview!
- a zine collecting the poetry I’ve written for/by/with/spurred on by videogames, it’s called ‘oh, the games p(eo)pl(e) play! if you want to help me work on it, chuck me a few bob for a hot drink on my Patreon?
- a series of women-of-colour-oriented lit nerd classes for Laneway Learning (Melb: when TBA)
- committed to voluntarily writing a review each season (gratis), and getting it published:
- writing a weekly blog post where I read a zine, maybe listen to something while reading, and drink something glorious, of either alcoholic or non-alcoholic nature. So far it’s been all about the tea? Check out the archive here. I’m also working on listing everything so it’s viewable according to:
- (i) week
- (ii) teetotaller-friendly and
- (iii) booze-specific; thought it might be nice to give options to those actively trying to avoid alcohol – would love input/feedback on if that’s useful 🙂
- first WMN bookclub meeting where I co-facilitated with fellow committee member Tara! We did Janet Mock’s Redefining Realness. You can see me pulling the goofiest face in the world here. Janet Mock saw and posted about us too!
- my Bar SK suite of poems on ‘collaboration’ appears in this month’s Writers Victoria (Apr-May) membership mag due to a successful application for a ‘Women Writers of Colour’ commission – you can see the poems/mag here on Instagram
- poetry reading feature (with open mic slots) at Hawthorn Library, happening again in July
- Rebel Stories from Rebel Women 2
- recording a cameo for season 2 of Love and Luck podcast
- Melbourne Spoken Word & Poetry Festival – The Big Rabbit Read – Collected Works was packed!
- Freeplay zine intro and workshop facilitation
- later that week, speaking with Rabbit Poetry-mate-and-Pokemon-fan-poet Rory Green here, professionally squeeing about video games generally, and as a tool for self-care in one’s creative practice. I’ll be discussing my Bar SK suite and my Bonfire Park zine-exhibition contrib (Bonfire Park honcho Alex Bennetts is also at Freeplay, whoop whoop!) while they will be talking about their Pokemon poems (the livestream is viewable here; I know this is heaps useful for those who can’t make it to venues/events in terms of accessibility)
- poetry business cards can be a thing, right?
- appearing on Queering the Air – thanks Devana & Iris! have a listen here!
- my first Emerging Writers’ Festival 2018 event! It’s free so you should come! You can also read about me, our chair, and other co-panellist on the EWF blog put together by our producer. See a gorgeous drawing of our power metal women-of-colour trio here. Joyful! <3
- reviewing Mirror Sydney by Vanessa Berry for Plumwood Mountain using Twine
- bit the bullet and now have a Patreon! Chuck me hot drink monies!
- reviewing Terra Nullius by Claire G. Coleman for ACRAWSA
- co-hosting WMN CBD bookclub meeting on Sylvia Plath’s The Bell Jar – thanks to those who attended <3
- Hawthorn Library poetry reading – which was part of the Boroondara Literary Festival 😮
- participating in a Melbourne Uni workshop about disability and creativity at FCAC
- flying up to Brisbane for a day for the Queensland Poetry Festival‘s programme launch, because of this, yep, it’s happening!
- starting a game collab with Ian MacLarty, ’cause we’re now video game ekphrastic/Freeplay/Bar SK buddies 😀
- radio show interview about having a mental health condition, being on Newstart / Centrelink payments, and what that life is like generally for 3CR’s Accent of Women show (now downloadable/streamable)
- becoming part of a committee focussed on consent and disability
- attending an event at FCAC about disability and diversity
- a series of women-of-colour-oriented lit nerd classes for Laneway Learning (Melb; beginning Sept-Oct 2018)
- going to the Queensland Poetry Festival as a performer!
- missing Quippings @ MWF but you should go anyway! (also, I really love that photo of all of us <3)
- reviewing a really cool game for LOTL mag
- reviewing Shastra Deo’s The Agonist for Mascara
- reviewing Eileen Chong’s Rainforest for Verity La
- reviewing Ania Walwicz’s Horse for Cordite
- a new job! teaching the kiddos the cool things about creative writing
- poetry workshoppy stuff! for the Booklovers’ Festival for Yarra Plenty Regional Libraries
- panellist/performing with other female-identifying artists who identify as having a disability for Melbourne Fringe Festival
- reviewing the Vagabond deciBels 3 series for Rabbit Poetry Journal
- poetry reading for R U OK Day (details TBA)
- Boroondara (Hawthorn Library) keep asking me back, so I keep doing a poetry reading slot! Might try to use my melodica in this one 🙂